Dunston in the 1800's
"Dunston, a hamlet, township, and chapelry (to Penkridge), two miles north of Penkridge, contains 250 inhabitants, and about 100 acres of land. Mr William Critchley owns 250 acres, and nearly all the rest belongs to the Earl of Lichfield, the lord of the manor"
(From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The population of Dunston township was as follows:
1801 - 208
1831 - 272
1841 - 250
A surname index of the 1851 census of Dunston township is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surnames Index, Volume 12, Penkridge, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The Church of St. Leonard, is a small modern brick edifice, except the tower, which is of stone, and appears very ancient. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Hatherton, and incumency of the Rev. Evan Price, who is also incumbent of Coppenhall"
(From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield 1851)
The church of St. Leonard, was a chapelry of Penkridge parish.
Church of England registers:
The register of St. Leonard commences in 1853. The original registers for the period 1853 - 1952 (Bapts) & 1980-1996 (Mar) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Earlier entries are recorded in the Penkridge parish registers. Bishops Transcripts, 1854-60 (with gaps 1856-7) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
POOR HOUSES, POOR LAW ETC:
The chapelrry became part of Penkridge Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834